Visit Stacey Carter's studio in Bldg 101 Studio: 2312 to see new work documenting the Hunters Point Shipyard and the huge airship painting of the USS Akron at Moffett Field in 1932. Hope to see you this weekend!
Stacey M. Carter, 2015 Bldg. 253, Optical, Electronics and Ordnance Building, Hunters Point Shipyard Finished in 1947 and attached to the west elevation of Building 211, Bldg 253 was a highly specific repair and research facility. It is a six-story, concrete framed, glass curtain wall building located in the Ship Repair and Outfitting area of the Shipyard. Designed by the architecture firm of Ernest J. Kump Co. and Mark Falk, structural engineer, the building cost over $2,000,000 to build. More than 80% of the structure’s walls and roof are comprised of glass providing abundant natural light to the building interior. A large overhead crane attaches to the south side of the building and was used for external lifting of equipment. A periscope tower extends vertically from the roof and was part of the sixth floor Optical Shop where rangefinders from naval ships were repaired and submarine periscopes calibrated by sighting on known points throughout the Bay Area.